millennial_fairy

| map-marker Thornhill, Ontario

Title: Alectra Utilities Review - Mixed Experiences with Customer Service and Communication in Markham I don't handle the electric bills, so I lack experience with other systems. I've heard mixed rev

Updated by user Feb 15, 2024

The agent at the emergency outages department instructed me to all their department or customer outreach if the planned outage for February 15th last longer than an hour.

Original review Feb 15, 2024
I don't handle the electric bills, I can only speak about their customer service. I've heard mixed reviews about customer service agents; some are great, while others seem unsympathetic. Although I understand they have a challenging job, consistency in service quality would be appreciated. Planned power outages are reasonable for grid maintenance, but scheduling could be more thoughtful. Fall maintenance could avoid extreme temperatures. Recently, a brief outage was scheduled on Feb 15, but reaching out on Twitter yielded no response. A helpful agent later assured it would only be an hour and that my house should only be without power for 15 to 20 minutes within that time frame. Subsequently, another outage was announced for Feb 21 within a 6-hour window. It would have been better if both notifications occurred simultaneously. Announcing the Feb 21 outage alongside the Feb 15 bulletin could have prevented confusion. Attempts to leave a voicemail with customer outreach were futile, leading to confusion and conflicting information from emergency outage services. Customer outreach doesn't seem to have a voicemail setup so that's why I speaking to the emergency branch. I questioned the decision not to reschedule the Feb 15 outage due to inclement weather, as per their bulletin mentioned they could reschedule. The agent lacked sympathy, not understanding the stress of prolonged outages, especially on a cold day in the winter for those working from home have food in the fridge. The safety implications, especially for power outages at night, are concerning. The bulletin mentioned that they do sometimes consider rescheduling planned power outages if the weather is inclement, which adds to the confusion. The emergency outage department should also be informed of planned power outages to provide accurate updates to affected individuals. It seems that cul-de-sacs are less prioritized, and better planning could allow for maintenance to happen sooner . Alectra needs more staff for both planned outages and customer service, a voicemail option for customer outreach, and improved responsiveness on social media. Reimbursement should be considered for outages exceeding the scheduled time. Additionally, while I understand that customer service agents are human and work hard, some may not be suitable for the role, and it's crucial not to take frustrations out on customers. Providing better compensation for overnight staff could contribute to a more positive working environment.

User's recommendation: Approach interactions with Alectra's customer service agents cautiously. While some are helpful, others may be curt or unhelpful. Good luck navigating your way through the uncertainty of who you'll encounter.

Guest

How is an hour outage considered prolonged? And the reason the agent didn’t care is because she will go through the same thing herself.

If you want the recommendations you suggest your costs would go up. Go door-to-door and collect names on a petition that those signing are willing to pay extra.

Then submit it to your local municipality. I bet your neighbors will put up with two 1-hour outages.

Gemma A Uty

Verified Reviewer

I need someone to ask if could get someone to...

I need someone to ask if could get someone to come to at my tumble dryer pleses ok Thank gemma douglas
Clive Cvt
map-marker Hamilton, Ontario

Billing issue

Nobody calls me back even after i set up call back. I am still waiting for a call. Its been more than 15 min.
Andrew D Hde

| map-marker Stoney Creek, Ontario

Poor customer service

I sold a home, canceled the utilities on closing date a month before. I am still getting billed. So I call Alectra to speak to someone to resolve this. I get put on hold for over an hour mid week before I can even speak to someone. Absolute garbage company that controls the market and places zero value on customer service. There is no other utility company to use so they do what they want and are incompetent to their benefit. I'd never use them if there was another alternative.

User's recommendation: Hire more staff for customer service. Over an hr wait time on a weekday is an absolute joke

map-marker Mississauga, Ontario

Needed to sort out a bill

I had a query regarding a recent bill that I received and the agent who helped was not only courteous and professional. She knew what she was doing and helped me sort the issue out very quickly with almost no effort on my part. My issue was sorted out in 15 minutes. Thanks Jaylyn, you are a star in my books.

User's recommendation: Remember the agents are people too.

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content
  • PissedConsumer is on the Inc. 5000 list

For more information read Blog article